January 25, 2012

What's New?

Since I have been slackin' and I need to catch up quick, here's a short list of what has been going down at my place.

!-Big Boy has heard back from 2 of the 4 colleges he applied to.  Both said yes!  Utah State and and BYU Idaho.  We are now in the process of nagging him to fill out scholarship applications.  Wish us luck!  We still have our fingers crossed for BYU Provo.  Only because that is where we have a lot of family.  It would be nice knowing another mother is close by to knock him on the head when he needs it.

@-T and I had a NYC get away!  It was just overnight but it was sure fun to get away.  We saw a broadway play (How to Succeed) and T spoke at the Vetran's hospital in his dress uniform.  Walking down the streets of NY with him in full uniform was a funny thing.  He got lots of sideways glances, one salute and a hearty "Thank you Sir!" from one man.  I was proud to be on his arm.  And he looked pretty handsome too : )  I had about 4 thank-you notes to write we returned.  So many nice friends pitched in to help out with my kiddos.  Even when Little Girl was at high risk for barfing during her overnight stay.

PS our edgy hotel had zebra print light fixtures!
the ceiling at Union Station where we caught the early train to NYC


#- I am in hyper-planning mode getting ready for Big Boy's surprise birthday party on the 10th.  He turns 18 on the 8th so I plan on a simple family party that day and a big surprise shindig on the 10th.  Our theme (because I must have one) is a tribute to red-heads.  Guests are encouraged to come dressed as their favorite red-head or wear a provided orange bandana.  We will serve carrot cake, mandarin orange salad, and ginger ale.  Orange jelly beans will fill our new jelly belly dispenser.  We're having a game of "name that red-head" with orange prizes.  An epic orange dart gun war.  It might be embarrassing for him, but it should be fun too.  We shall see...

$-T and I are coming up on our 20th anniversary.  We are trying to plan a get away but it hasn't quite come together yet.  It feels weird trying to plan something when we just got back from NY.  We were thinking about a cruise (but no longer- thanks Italian cruise ship captain for confirming my worst fears about a cruise).  Maybe a beach house rental, a bed and breakfast somewhere... any suggestions?

%- Notice how I have been using symbols instead of numbers?  Weird how I made that mistake with Number 1 and accidentally typed !  So I just went with it for the rest of the list.  I'm wacky.  Even stranger is the fact that some of the symbols actually went with my topics.  Look again if you're in denial and believe me when I say it wasn't on purpose.  I got nothing for % so I better end.  Have a great Tuesday.

2 comments:

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

I think the party sounds awesome! You have to post pictures! You should look into going to Cape May for a getaway. It is the beach town where I grew up. It is a cute little Victorian town packed with B&B's, and it is only 3 1/2 hours away. You can do the beach, shop, go on a horse carriage ride- there is a lot to do. I can tell you all the best places to stay and eat! Andrew and I stayed here once- it is only a couple of blocks from the beach. http://www.mainstayinn.com/

mCat said...

I say go for the cruise. It's like what happens after an airplane crash. It's the safest time to travel that way since th industry becomes hypervigilant.

Not to say that when I go on a cruise next month, I'm not going to check that the captains last name doesn't end with a vowel