July 16, 2014

Summer Luvin'

Big Girl in a Hammock
Hello!

Summer is well underway and quickly slipping though our fingers.  I believe I am not alone when I confess that Summer is both anticipated and dreaded by the stay at home Mother.  All our solitude goes out the window and we have to fill the fridge constantly.  We're suddenly responsible for multiple social schedules and we dread those three little words "Mom, I'm bored."

I am happy to report that this Summer somehow has turned out to be different from Summers of the past.  I can't quite figure out why.  Perhaps I have wised up a bit about how quickly my chicks leave the nest.  With one son out of the home and another just 4 weeks away from his own solo flight I am anxious to make the most of our time left.  This has turned into a Summer of good memories. We took off our training wheels. We have joined swim team. We have hiked 50 miles along the Appalachian trail (not all of us).  We've gone to the movies. We've enrolled in art camp. We've done girl scout day camp. We've been to a baseball game. We have enjoyed an outdoor movie night in our back yard with friends.  We've made excellent food together.  We've gown flowers and tomatoes. We've cleaned out closets and rediscovered forgotten loved toys.  We have made mini crossbows that shoot matchsticks out of hair clips and popsicle sticks.  We've eaten popsicles. We've taken music lessons (piano and violin). We have set goals like learn sign language, and fill the entire driveway with sidewalk chalk.  We're getting there.  A beach trip awaits with more good memories (one hopes).  Then finally...  a farewell trip to Utah where we will leave Middle Boy there to start college, fend for himself, and make his own dang quesa dillas.  I hope he gets his Summer reading finished.  I'm trying real hard not to remind him to do it. I'm trying not to be such a Momma to him anymore.  But how will he ever finish his eagle if I do that completely?
Pondering the Nat's chances


Aaaannd they're off


our mico crossbows
There have been a few thorny days with all this rosiness however.  I managed to rip my toenail up from the bed (again!! argh! @#&^"). There has been fighting. The kids have stayed out past curfew. Or had kids over to the house until way late.  The boys have been hard to get up off the couch in order to do....anything.  We've been bit by mosquito's, we've thrown up in the middle of the night.  Teeth have been extracted and braces are about to be put on for the second time.  I've had concerns about my children this Summer.  Will they stay strong?  Will they be safe?  Will they make good choices?  But that is something I do year round.

Today we actually bought school supplies for my soon to be 2nd grader.  Don't laugh, in my area the supplies go fast!  You gotta shop while the shopping's still good or it's total frustration.  I suppose that is a sure sign that Summer is on the downhill slope.  There's still enough muggy hot air around to justify Slurpees though.  So I'll take all the warm lazy days I can get until the cool solitude of Fall comes around.  And then I will welcome that too.  I hope you are smart enough to catch a few fireflies, get some pedicures, lay in your hammock, grill outdoors, do slip and slides in the back yard, and make home-made ice cream for the next few weeks.  That is my plan at least : )
2nd place in the kick board popsicle meet!





No comments: