July 04, 2008

Tables Turned

Well recently had a visit from my parents. They stopped by on their motor-home tour of many sites. I will admit that I was somewhat worried how my kids would behave in front of them since our last experience visiting them in Utah ended up with me in tears. Let's just say that my relationship with my step mom can sometimes be strained, and I always feel like she is silent-note taking about how wrong I am doing everything. On occasion my Dad will also tell me where he sees room for improvement. Not that some of that isn't okay, but tactfulness isn't a strong point with my Dad, and there have been many meals at their home where I dread how my Dad will react when the kids won't eat their food. I still have scars from my childhood memories of sitting at the table all night because I refused to eat something on my plate.

But one thing I found delightful about the visit (aside from having my father around for a few days-which was in fact nice), was that the picky eater(s) at the table were not my kids, but my Dad instead. No room to be critical when a certain 79 year old at the table wouldn't touch his grilled vegetables at one dinner and at another meal he totally shelled the stuffed pepper out and ate only the meat inside. I was bold enough to suggest that he can never agian tell me my kids are picky if he won't eat vegetables at my dinner table. Mission accomplished.

So, enjoy (if you can-it's kinda awful) this video of Dad and JoAnn singing an old time family favorite song that eventually made Big Girl cry. So much for not feeling judged by my child's strong willed behavior.

It's a good thing T's parents are always telling me how great I am at everything to balance it out.

No comments: