January 07, 2011

No Spam Please

So I am doing pretty good with my goal this year to give myself a break and not worrying so much.  Today for instance, after I got Big Girl, (Audrey) (- that was for you Paula-) off to early morning French today, I climbed back into my bed (unshowered btw) and went back to sleep while Little Girl (Eliza) watched Shrek the 3rd.  [An aside: Shrek the third is possibly the worst of the Shrek movies with the exception of the Snow White scream/sing scene].  I had intended to actually cuddle up with my daughter and watch a movie while the dishes sat undone but soon it turned into a nap.  A nap at 8:00 am!  Can you believe how incredibly well I am doing at relaxing?  Now let me assure you of my non-laziness.  The previous day I never stopped for a moment.  And the day before that was a very similar story.  So I was due for some rest.  I am also doing great this year at avoiding getting sick.  People around me have been getting sick right and left!  Even in my own home.  I don't know how I am doing it but I think changing the filter in our heater at the beginning of the cold months has helped.  Someone said it would and I believed them.  Now that I have said this openly I will probably be sick by the weekend.  Keep me in your thoughts please!

Now for my next resolution (just recently made) I am trying to cut out spam in my life.  Due to online shopping (a weakness) I am cursed with an incredible amount of emails from vendors that I would just assume not be getting.  I will come to them if and when I am interested but I don't want to hear about every sale going on 10 times a day.  Oh my goodness!  I just checked my email in the midst of writing this post and got some spam comment on my blog.  Lovesecrets.com is calling and I don't want to answer.  That has to be some sort of weird fate.  It's like Big Brother is always watching and He can see what I am writing about.  I guess I better put my spam blocking word verification back up.

To stop all the emails I have been "unsubscribing" like crazy for the past week.  I know it takes time for the block to work but I am not seeing any improvement yet.  The ones I hate are the ones where you are directed to the shopping site itself in order to unsubscribe.  They are just counting on someone as impatient as me to forget about reading all the fine print, possibly go shopping for a bit, and keep getting their stupid junk mail.  Yes, I mean you QVC.  And I never even bought from you but I had to sign on with an account just to look.  Pretty sneaky Sis!  Someone showed me a trick of 'bouncing' the email back to the sender making it seem as if it's not a valid email address.  I haven't had much luck doing this.  Maybe I am not bouncing the right way.  If anyone knows of some good suggestions for me I am all ears.  Those are some emails I would be glad to click on.  I will also be glad to open up a can of processed meat and grill it up for dinner.  We can all use more of that kind of Spam in my opinion.  

8 comments:

Laurel C. said...

The spam I hate is the ones made to look legitimate. For instance, "accountverification@craigslist.com." Or the ones made to look like they're from my own e-mail account. There are some devious people out there.

I take the time to unsubscribe myself from the big retailers who e-mail me. It's worth it, and it really works. I love Kohls dearly, but I don't need a weekly e-mail of their ads. I'll see the ad when I'm in the store... I go there every week anyway. Maybe THAT should be my resolution... stop going to Kohls so much!

CB said...

I have different e-mails. One for my blog. One for my friends, family, personal stuff. And one for shopping. It works great because if I do get any spam it usually is only on the shopping blog and I just delete it all at once!

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Kelly said...

Cherie that idea is nothing short of brilliant! I am going to have to try that.

Tom said...

It must be a first of the year deal because I've been getting all kinds of spam e-mails since the new year started and I don't usually get them. Good for you for un-subcribing.

Teachinfourth said...

です です です です です です です です です です です です です

great blog. you write well. I like what you written.

you can follow me at teachinfourth.blogspot.com

Just kidding...

I hate getting junk like that, too. You know it's not a real person, or that they're just out 'fishing' and haven't really read a single thing you've written.

Good luck on your quest for the most-loved mystery meat.

Kelly said...

That comment made my day Jason. Thanks!

Teachinfourth said...

I'm all about world happiness...

mCat said...

I sooooooo need to do this! I get more spam than I do legitimate emails! Pathetic!