October 06, 2010

The Power of Suggestion

Recently I prided myself in my ability to get over a cold quickly.  Three short days and I was almost as right as the rain outside.  Then when I told a friend (the one who passed it to us through her toddler) she suggested that I might not be out of the woods just yet.  She expressed her sorrow in passing the bug on to our family and warned against not getting enough rest because this cold had a way of coming back upon you.  I got to bed early to ward anything off.  Even though I tried my best, I woke up this morning watery eyed and sneezing up a storm again.  Poor me.  I wish she'd never said anything to me.  I'm not superstitious mind you, but I know that the mind has untapped powers that can influence the body.

Now we are also in the season of multiple toy catalogs coming in the mail, suggesting every child's dream toy.  My oldest daughter has a habit of picking out her favorites by folding down the pages where she sees something of interest.  When she's finished window shopping she sweetly places the bent up magazine in my lap, bats her eyelashes and says that since I'm Santa's helper I might be interested in looking at them too.  She's growing up too fast for me.  Good thing she still wants things like Zu Zu Pets and pretend medical kits.

I have been trying to use the power of suggestion on my husband over the years with little success.  Case in point, our corner cupboard in the kitchen.  It remains broken completely off the hinges for (if memory serves) almost 2 years.  It seems there isn't a solution in sight with that poor sad cupboard.  It makes the kitchen scream for a completely new set of cupboards right?  Maybe that is the suggestion he is trying to make to me!  I will try and refrain from holding my breath.

And now to suggest to my body that it needs to get better asap (we have a big weekend planned) I am going to take a nap.

1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

I have had a cold for over a week. I feel like it's never ending!