January 08, 2010

Orlando: Part 1

We have returned... with honor. Just kidding there is nothing honorable about a trip to Florida. I am not complaining either though. It was a 14 hour drive each way. The fact that no one killed anyone during the drive is honorable I suppose. We found that separating the boys allowing no more than one boy per row in the van really helped keep the peace.

The weather cooperated with us. There were clear roads. However the temperatures were not friendly. We had to keep re-wearing our cold weather outfits. Never touched the shorts or swimsuits. The temps were in the 50s the entire trip. Oh well- we still did everything we wanted to and next time I will pack lighter since we got along fine.

The first part of the trip was devoted to Sea World and Gatorland. Both were great. Sea World is a fan favorite for me. I love the shows and the slower pace. There are some killer roller coasters that (when they were in operation mode) were very fun! I thought it was interesting that during the line for the coaster called 'Kraken' the announcement recording kept saying that you should make certain that your artificial limbs were securely fastened. I guess that is what 8 years of war will do to a population.

The Shamu show has gotten pretty touchy feely and almost made my 15 year old puke. However if you are into that stuff you may just change your life to fit your dreams after coming out of the show. Either that, or take up whittling and make yourself a whale-tale necklace. The dolphin show brings tears to my eyes when those parrots swoop overhead. I could do without the princess visiting the world of the dolphins theme though. Here are some photos of Sea World for you. I will have to save Gatorland for another post because ...it was just that special.










Just look at those suckers! And the Octopus ain't bad either...

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I must comment because my husband did not get my suckers reference. He thought I meant the boys. Look closely at the PDA going on in that photo on the far right... Now you are probably laughing hysterically right? Right?

Eileen said...

The photos look great! I'm thinking of upgrading my camera...because I always want to keep up with Kelly AND because my camera won't autofocus with most lenses and I'm finding that's an important thing.

Katie said...

I love your photos. I haven't been to Sea World in a few years, but it is a fan favorite with me too. Last time we went my 18 month old was afraid of the shows - they made him hysterical - and my 4 year old thought they were boring, so it was yeah....a letdown. I was laughing hysterically when I saw the PDA - what were they thinking?

noyb said...

amusement parks seem to bring out the extreme pda's. lol. what is up with that?
glad you are back safe and sound. missed checking your blog every day.

Tom said...

That looks fun but even more important, it looks warm. I am jealous. You reminded me that I am past due for a family vacation.

Kelly said...

It was in the 50s the entire time... Not warm enough for Florida!!! Still better than Utah or Maryland.

Family vacations are fun but a ton of work! I am sure you know that already.

literaqueen said...

I love Big Boy's look of horrified incredulity as he watches the show.