June 23, 2010

In the Calm of the Morning

This morning, all is calm.  No one is awake but me. (Although T is long gone.  Left for work about and hour ago).  The power was out last night as we went to bed and then just as everyone started to doze the lights came on, waking us up.  So instead of doing my work-out this morning (I always seem to find some excuse not to do it these days) I am writing.  I need peace and quiet to write.  I can work out while they eat breakfast right?

I am also attempting to balance the checkbook, pay bills and file things away here in my messy playroom/office.  Since my lap top bit the dust (hopefully to come back to us soon with a new hard-drive and a 3 year warranty), I have to blog from this room and it's really put a cramp in my style.  So my apologies if my blogging frequency has been less than up to par.  Actually I have a new attitude altogether about my blogging lately.  My attitude is that I will get to it if it works for me and I will not let it interfere with my main job as a mother this summer.  So, sorry if I don't comment on your blogs that often.  Its not you, it's me.  Whew!  Glad I got that off my chest.

As I put scratch paper where it goes (so that Big Girl will use that instead of my printer paper for her artwork), I see that we have some new artwork drawn on my new IKEA shelves.  A pencil zigzag that needs to be wiped clean but not before a stern talk with Little Girl!  I am brought back to another age when Big Boy was just a toddler and had taken a set of markers to his play table.  His unfinished wooden play table.  We novice parents decided that even a 2 year old could learn from his mistake and we forced him to sand the table down with heavy duty sand paper.  Video footage reveals how much fun he had sanding away with his pants around his ankles (too focused on his sanding to remember to complete the job he'd just been working on in the bathroom.)  Modesty shmodesty- there's sanding to be done here!  What silly parents we were.  Tricks are for kids!  What a funny memory for me to have this morning.  Reminding me how life is a journey where we just don't know what the heck we are doing most of the time.  And yet somehow things work out alright in the end don't they?  I hope they will.  Big Boy has a lot to learn in the area of hard work still.  Maybe a job this summer will help him there.

I am almost all packed and trying to resist the temptation to buy a new purse I saw before at the Navy Exchange after today's appointment with the Occupational Therapist.  I instinctively forget my appointments with her since she massages the hell (sorry it has to be said) out of my elbow until I want to cry.  Don't you think my showing up for the torture today will warrant a 60.00 purse from the store?  It's such a cute purse for not that much really.  Well- I better be good and just-say-no.  Maybe paying my bills before I leave will help me out with that.  Am I the only one who likes to shop before a trip to see relatives you don't see very often?  Won't they like me just as well with last year's purse?  Maybe I can put it through the wash.  It's looking dirty.

Tomorrow I am off to Utah for about 5 days.  I am so excited to see my family and hug my poor Dad.  I love him so much and he is a great example of faith to me.  I hope you have a good week without me out there in bloggy land!  Until we meet again my virtual friends : )

4 comments:

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

I really am sorry for your family's loss. I hope you have a smooth trip to Utah and that everything goes well.
You should look at TJ Max for purses. They have some pretty cute ones for a fraction of the price!

Laurel C. said...

Enjoy your time with friends and family in Utah... even though the reason for the visit may not be exactly ideal. I'm leaving for Utah tomorrow as well. I'll be there until July 5. I'll wave to you!

Carrie Stuart said...

Have a great trip...and no worries. I think we all put too much pressure on ourselves to keep up with the blogs. It's supposed to be a hobby! =^)

Cheeseboy said...

Welcome back to Utah. Hope it is a nice stay with your dad.

Also, I think Utah is the purse capital of the world.