March 23, 2009

A Tale of Two Projects


So this week was crazy!  Big Girl and Little Boy had two of the oddest school projects due on the same day.  Why oh why do the teachers not get together and plan a little better?!  I hate it when the stars mis-align like this and my kids (aka I) have two big things due on the same day.  Little Boy had to prepare an oral presentation with a puppet (!?) on a historical figure of his choosing.  He chose FDR.  My first question was if FDR was the Roosevelt in the wheelchair or not, cause how in the heck am I going to pull that one off (puppet wise).  Luckily he wasn't that Roosevelt.  Side note: they were related though.  FDR used crutches for some of his life.  We made a puppet sans crutches.  I pretty much took that project over since my son doesn't sew or use hot glue guns at this point in his 10 years.  Gotta teach that kid some crafty skills soon!  When I finished it up I showed it to him and he told me it was "beast!"  (Funny because I recently got called a beast by a fellow blogger- she didn't mean it in the nice way my son did though- both times I laughed... totally beast man!).  

Then poor Big Girl had a bad experience with her cow costume.  She was assigned to dress as a nursery rhyme character.  She chose the cow from the classic "Hey Diddle Diddle".  Unfortunately it wasn't only the little dog who laughed in this scenario.  She was laughed at (and mooed at) for being the only one in costume on the wrong day (Mom messed up! I dressed her up a day early).  The sad part was I had so much going on with FDR puppet and volunteering to help with cub scouts the night before that I had been sewing the spots for the cow on her white clothing until midnight the night before.  Joke's on me there I suppose.  Luckily she had left her lunch on the car seat that day, thus making me hurry it to her before the bell even rang and I was able to take her home to change and calm down a bit.  She was crying when I got there.  Since I volunteer on Tuesdays there the kindergartners all know me.  I made it a point to tell the teacher on those unthinking kids (names being withheld at the time of reporting but looking at those taunting mooers who made my little calf cry with my seriously-disappointed-in-you look).  The next day when she bravely re-wore her cow costume she opted for leaving the horned headband in the backpack until show time.  That's my practical heroic girl!

Yes, it was the best of times it was the worst of times.  I am just glad it's now all in the past.


THE END



8 comments:

Emily Norby said...

Well, now might be a good time to start letting Big Girl man the sewing machine and hot glue gun. Her puppet presentation will be here before you know it!

Melinda said...

Oh, poor little cow girl. What a cute yet tragic story. I'm glad you rescued her!

And! Who called you a beast? Do tell!

Kelly said...

Megan from New Hampshire- that's who!

Kelly said...

Profile not available : )

Eileen said...

I'm so glad you tattled on those mean kids--making your poor cow cry indeed! She looked adorable though!

Lovely puppet, but I thought FDR was the one in the wheelchair. Teddy was the daredevil on horseback, right? Wasn't that Teddy in "Night at the Museum"? Of course, in the movie he did get cut in half and Sacajawea had to put him back together, so I'd assume that caused some future mobility problems.

Someone called you a beast? I can't even imagine! I once had a blogger say I was racist because I mentioned something about my "Chinese" daughter. She said I obviously have issues with her race since I felt the need to point out her ethnicity. I told her that that's the one and only way I refer to her around the house. "Chinese one, come to dinner! Chinese child, make your bed...." We didn't even bother to name her. I liked my sarcastic little back-at-ya' comment, but then she SO flamed me! Oh my! I'm talking "F" word and the whole works. My name was mud in that small corner of the international adoption blogosphere. Now I just ignore any nasty and/or weird comments.

Kelly said...

Eileen, Eileen, I should have known I couldn't fool a history buff like you. At the time of this writing I thought we had it right. I must admit that when images of Teddy came to mind I did picture him looking a lot like Robin Williams on a horse in a museum and thought that it must have been FDR who had polio who was in a wheel chair. In the limited research D did he hadn't come across the wheelchair part yet so we went with what we knew at the time when making our puppet. D was more on the research end and I was making wax hair stick to styrofome (not easy!)

So to be clear people FDR was in a wheelchair for 24 years (according to wikipedia just now).

We stand corrected. Hope it won't effect my (I mean his) grade...

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
literaqueen said...

I think the cow costume is darling-- even with all the trauma it inflicted. Your daughter was just having dress rehearsal. And now you have a Halloween costume ready for October-- you're months ahead! Good job!