May 05, 2009

Star Wars Day


I just found out it's Star Wars Day!  Who knew?!  Wikipedia that's who.  My Middle Boy went through a serious Star Wars phase.  He insisted on being Vader and we had to call him Lord Vader (at age 3 I might add). I still remember going to the first Star Wars movie back in 1977.  I would have been about 9.  I say about so as not to reveal my real age.  I recall my parents being concerned about the possible violence in the movie.  Oh how far we have come.  A little arm cutting off scene is hardly a head turner anymore.  Was it rated G or PG?  I forget (since I am so old).  I still remember my mother having some sort of mental block when it came to saying PG.  She'd repeatedly say it GP.  It was a new-fangled system back then.  

I saw it multiple times while it was in the theater.  My older brother Chris taking me each time.  It was almost a spiritual experience what with the force and the evil dark side and all.  I could swear George Lucas was inspired during the entire production.  

And now I am going to do something inspired and cut this blog entry short!  Happy Star Wars day and may the force be with you!

Feel free to share your Star Wars memories!

PS Here is a joke for you...

A heavy breathing D Vader voice says: 
"Luke, I know what you're getting for Christmas"
Luke answers: 
"How do you know?"
D Vader answers: 
"I felt your presents"


8 comments:

Kerri said...

So fun to hear from you! I have thought of you many times! Now I can keep up with you!

Tom said...

I remember seeing Star Wars in the theater for the first time. I had to go to the bathroom so bad that I nearly passed out by the time they attacked the death star. I didn't want to take a break for fear of missing something cool.

Natalie Daines said...

Great joke, Kelly. I'll have to share it with my kids! They'll LOVE it!

Emily Norby said...

The joke will win me some points with my own Luke (who requests daily that we change his name to Anakin).

Yeah, I think it's safe to say we're still in the Star Wars Phase. Possibly for life.

Bob and Julie said...

WHAT?!?! I missed it?!?! I have a princess Leah costume I LOVE wearing when I go grocery shopping!

So, I loved catching up with your life again! The cute sayings cracked me up and brought back tons of memories. And, I hate to break it to you...but... your house is still pretty big and snobby (compared to good ole BYU houseing) :) I would LOVE a house that big!!! Ha! Love you!!

Kelly said...

Thanks for your perspective Julie. It seems the grass is always greener eh? I love the photos of your house. You really have a knack for decorating stuff!

I would also love to see you in your Leah costume in the produce isle! May be force be with you as you pick out your bananas.

Katie said...

My three year old insists on being called Luke. I am always catching him using the force on strangers. Will he grow out of this phase? :o)

literaqueen said...

I was too scared to go to the theatre with my dad and my older brother to see Star Wars when it first came out. I had to wait until they went for their second time with the whole family-- and then I fell in love with it.

Not such a big fan of the newer ones, though.