March 30, 2010

Fireworks in March

Well it's spring break in our school district. Yesterday was the first official day. And yesterday was a doosy!! Without going into too many details about the day as they would embarrass certain members of the family I will just say it was started with a bang! It also prompted my 7 year old daughter to write the following note after breakfast this morning.
I must say I want the same thing. Who knew such fireworks would erupt when I went out for a couple hours. I was grateful to my wise older sister for her advise on how to handle the boys when I got home. She will be pleased to know that Middle Boy has earned his lacrosse privileges back after writing a nice note to his brother. Big Boy composed a similar letter. All is calm for now, and the boys actually seem closer and happier than I have seen them in a while. T was super sad when he came home to the news. He is always saying the same thing that nothing makes him sadder then when his children don't get along.

We haven't scheduled any vacation time during this spring break. Usually we try and get away to Virginia Beach. Not this year. T's work schedule wouldn't let him get away. He's on a consult service right now. Three times a year I am reminded what it was like when he was a resident. I don't like it much. At least the salary doesn't go down to what we were paid in residency. That would be extra bad! T has so much time off up built up right now that he will start to lose it if he doesn't use some of those days. He is going to try and work things out so that he can work a 4 day work week instead of 5 for a while. So that will be nice. I hope it happens. T is like his father- never takes time off.

In other news I think we are becoming clearer on what we need to do with our future. I think we have come full circle now in our decision making process and have come back to the original plan to get out of the military. It comes down to spending more time together as a family and with his current job he is way too busy. The commute doesn't help. And the chance of deployment may be slimmer as he goes up in position, but in reality the chance is still too big. And when T is in Iraq we really don't see him much. I also have been feeling a tug at my heart strings to be closer to family. I know it would mean living in Utah again, but I think it would be worth the sacrifice. (JOKING- sorta). I don't know if there are opportunities for a job there or not, and we would like to do something to keep our health benefits (like work for a VA hospital part time). We'll see. We just need to keep our eyes and ears open and hope for the best.

That's all for now I guess. If anyone has any good advise on how to explain a black eye to the missionaries when they come for dinner tonight, leave me a comment. Thanks!

Maybe it's not that noticeable...


9 comments:

Eileen said...

First, no, the blackeye is not noticeable.

Second, there are too many doctors in Utah, but I've heard there's a shortage in Washington.

Tracy P. said...

Oh, bummer! Um, you can always come visit us for spring break!!!

Kelly said...

The funny part was that I was in the middle of visiting teaching. We needed to close a bit early...

Carrie Stuart said...

Ummmm....the reason I didn't comment is I thought it was hilarious....and I know that you are probably not to that point yet (still too fresh). I didn't want to appear insensitive. I'll have to do a Flashback Friday about one of our similar stories. Hmmm...shall I pick the #2 son rupturing the #1 son's eardrum with the Naboo Star Fighter...or our lovely daughter nearly lighting the house on fire playing with candles while she was supposed to be napping (and old enough to know better)? We've all got these kinds of stories...I'm sure there's no tongue clucking going on!

Kelly said...

I'll totally take hilarious over clucking. I guess you are right- I'm sensitive about it right now. In fact it's put kind of a damper on the entire spring break for me.

Here is a post I read that week that made me feel sick...

http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/2010/03/brotherly-love.html

Carrie Stuart said...

I read it, too...but you really have to:

(1) Consider the source...with all she's gone through, I wouldn't begrudge her home being Enoch incarnate.

(2) You also have to take into account that her boys are tiny. Yes, this is what she hopes for (who wouldn't), but time will only tell if this is her reality. Truth be told, my older two boys ARE in high school and ARE best buds...but they are not perfect and still piss each other off from time to time and have injured one another on occasion. But all in all, I'm pretty thrilled with them! You just have to put those black eyes in perspective of the big picture.

Kelly said...

Carrie
you are like some kind of Yoda with all that wisdom!
Thanks!

Kelly said...

Oh and just so you know, I just read her post today about making rolls for Easter dinner... Isn't it funny that the rolls we tried failed due to outdated yeast.

I guess I am just not a spring chicken who can see the perfect side of life. At times I'm just a cynical old bird with outdated yeast and failed rolls.

My strawberry pie rocked the house though : )

Carrie Stuart said...

LOL! Old bird with outdated yeast! Hey, at least you had an Easter dinner! My family ate spaghetti as I slept off a sinus infection! I barely managed to get up to take pics of them finding their baskets. We didn't do any of our usual traditions. It was kind of a bummer. Oh well, there's always next year.