October 22, 2008

Wedding Ducks


A popular item for tourists to purchase while visiting Korea are these wedding ducks. They don't often read up on the proper placing of said ducks though, because you often see them in peoples homes looking like this...


If they are placed that way then it is supposed to mean that there isn't harmony between husband and wife. Maybe I assume too much when I think they are just ignorant as to the proper placement. Maybe these folks just don't care for each other. In any case, T and I always have our ducks placed like this (except when I am really mad at something and I may place them the other way for a bit until we mend things)...


The other day E thought it would be funny to place our ducks like this... Still in harmony but far apart. I had to smile

6 comments:

Bob and Julie said...

Awww...that's actually really sweet! I love how insightful and creative your kids are. And....I am proud to say that our ducks are facing each other!!! hooray!:) Thanks for the fun present!!

Eileen said...

So Bob and Julie got ducks, but I got no ducks? What's up with that?

Kelly said...

Troy gave them to Bob and Julie when he stayed at their house for a bit. Can I come stay at your house Eileen? "I have perfect ducks for you!"

Melody said...

We got a set of these when we got married from Quinn's uncle, who teaches Korean at BYU (I think). They're gorgeous. And yes, they face each other.

Hope you're doing okay, Kelly!

Kelly said...

Thanks Melody,
I am just sleep deprived (can't settle down and sleep at night!). Another little known fact about the ducks is that some come with a string tied around one of the duck's bills. That is supposed to be the female duck and it's meant to keep her mouth quiet so she can properly honor her spouse. I don't especially like the ones with that feature....

Eileen said...

I love that you can do different things with the ducks to symbolize your feelings. I could see myself turning my back on husband duck, waddling away from husband duck, maybe even sometimes just kicking husband duck right off the windowsill all together. What a great gift to bring to a wedding reception. You should stock up. And definitely come visit our house anytime! (With or without ducks.)